Saturday, August 13, 2011

Junko Sushi

Only 2 weeks old and despite a few issues, I thoroughly enjoyed my meal at Junko, as did my company.  The location is great, right on the corner with big windows from floor to ceiling letting you watch the busy Broadway street.  I enjoy the view but there are also less busy tables towards the back.  Immediately upon entering we were showered with greeting from the staff and sushi chefs, nice enthusiasm, friendly, accommodating service.  Nice large menu, many sushi options as well as a wide variety of cooked dishes, i look forward to returning to try the yellowtail collar.  We started with a large portion of edemame, which was perfectly seasoned and delicious.  Complements of the kitchen we were given an order of fried whitefish.  Whitefish is so simple and bland, and the texture is not that appealing either, so their fried preparation was perfect.  Very crispy but not oily, surrounded by a few sauces including spicy mayo.  Very tasty appetizer, i would love to see them do this with salmon or another fatty fish. 


The sushi rolls were on the whole very good.  The fish itself was good, not the best I've had, not do I believe its the best in Astoria (that distinction still goes to JJ's).  The rolls that were not covered in sauce or fried were just alright, both the Salmon roll and the White Tuna and Avocado were not particularly memorable, but still enjoyable.  All fresh fish, nothing we did not enjoy  The presentation was excellent but at times a bit strange, one plate came with Strawberries on the side, although it was not clear what it was meant to be eaten with, if anything at all.  Also the Banana Leaf over the sushi was a nice decoration but strange to have inedible food sandwiched between edible food.  The sauces, presentation, size of the rolls and value was all very good; I was also happy with the depth of the sushi menu, so overall the food was very good.  I'd stick with the elaborate multi fish rolls, they one covered in eel was excellent.

I like the fact that it is a big place and I don't feel like i'm rushed during my meal.  A few of the places I like in Astoria are too small to, so this is a welcomes addition to the neighborhood.  The servers went over and above to ensure we were having a good meal and were very friendly.  They filled up our water every few minutes.  I'd drop the top 40's music, but that's just me.  Recommended for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment