Wednesday, November 16, 2011

MexiQ

Some things about this place I like (beer selection, service, ribs) some things I don't (the pork skillet), but overall a decent place.  As noted by others they have 48 beers on tap (actually 46 plus 2 ciders I believe), which is a huge and awesome variety.  Our waitress, Cat, was super friendly, and very helpful with choosing our drinks, even gave us little samples of a few we had not heard of.  Her beer recommendations were great, I really liked the Chocolate Stout.  The place is nice, big, clean, a bit random, and the music is a bit too loud.  The host, runner and busboy were also very friendly, great attentive service.

The food was hit or miss.  The guacamole is inexpensive ($5 or $6 with a topping) and was decent, a bit too much onion for my taste, but well seasoned and nicely citrusy served with not stale chips.  The Ribs were really good in a decent sauce.  They were extremely soft (in a good way) and "fell of the bone" as the saying goes.  I actually ate them with a fork and knife.  Very meaty and quite delicious, I'd recommend this dish for sure.  They are served with a large portion of French fries and a moist, light jalapeño goat cheese cornbread.

If that were all we ordered I would likely give this place 4 stars but the pork skillet was a big disappointment.  The sauce itself (mustard like) was excellent, bright, tasty, not too overpowering.  The meat lean, but very overcooked, to the point that it was dry and chewy, not appealing at all.  I was also confused at how they served it.  I asked for no coleslaw (as I don't personally enjoy it), so they served me a skillet with HALF of it filled with food (the pork) and the other half empty.  They did not substitute any vegetable, or starch.  Even my corn bread side was another sent out another 2 minutes latter, so my plate stayed half-full.  It irked me that a kitchen would send out an "entrée" with no side at all, kind of lazy and confusing actually.  Also from a presentation standpoint it was a disaster, dark charred meat with dark sauce on a black skillet (again only  1/2 full).

Despite the pork dish I would recommend this place and I would like to return to try a few more items, the beers are well priced and the service is excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment