Monday, July 11, 2011

Gandhi

This is my go to place in Astoria for Indian food in Astoria, I much prefer it over Seva around the corner.  I ordered from here countless times and have never been disappointed.  For starters the sampler platter is a great deal ($8) and a good variety of food.  The samosa's are standard, but excellent still.  Well fried crusty shell, not oily at all, great flavor on both the meat and the vegetable version, which has corn and carrots in addition to the usual potatoes and peas.  The onion Bhaji is another item I enjoy, but it is one of the heavier versions of the dish I've had.  My favorite dishes here are the Lamb Korma and the Chicken Makhani, both fantastic.  The Korma is very thick, rich, buttery and nutty with shredded coconut and raisins.  It is packed with flavor and the lamb has a good balance of meat to fat.  The Makhani is fantastic, very strong flavors, not quite as thick as the Korma. Very buttery and just delicious.  The chicken is very lean and cooked well, still juicy.  The nan is good but not quite as crispy as I like.  The service is very calm and attentive, they are friendly and relaxed.  They play excellent classical Indian music, slightly louder than you might expect, which I really enjoy.  It is not background music.  They have a good selection of wines including a few Indian wines.  The prices are very good and the portions are huge.  Highly recommended, for delivery also.

No comments:

Post a Comment