Sunday, July 24, 2011

Queens Comfort


I've eaten here once and the food was for the most part fantastic, really excellent flavors, but the restaurant itself needs a bit of work.  The pecan sticky bun was one of the best baked items I think I've ever had, and my dining partner agreed.  Outstanding flavor and texture. Tasted like a thin light brown butter caramel, really amazing flavors.

The Pork and Grits was for the most part also excellent.  Nice large portion of creamy grits in a deep red strong sauce, with a huge pile of pork on top.  Excellent dish, however parts of the pork were burnt.  There was not 'brunch' option to speak of, everything we paid for was separate which i found strange for a Sunday morning in Astoria.

The only negatives were that the music was way to loud, causing people to speak loud.  It was also very hot in there.  It has been brutally hot lately, when I go to a restaurant I expect to cool off.  Also the service is a bit off, there seem to be a lot of people working but not really paying attention to the tables.  For example one waitress filled the water glasses of the table next to us, but missed ours, perhaps it was because it was not her table?  Our server stacked the plates in front of my and a dirty fork fell into my lap...  The coffee was to strong for my taste.

Despite the small service issues the food is well priced and quite memorable, I want to return again and try a few more items, but for now I'd certainly recommend it at least for these 2 dishes.  A very welcome addition to the neighborhood.  

No comments:

Post a Comment